April 30, 2009

Thomas on the Brain

Thomas the Tank Engine first entered our home a little over a year ago. At first it was fine, because it was just by way of the TV on Saturday mornings. I was worried at first because Thomas kind of drove me crazy, and I was bound and determined that I wouldn't have a Thomas-obsessed son. I had heard stories of this maddening obsession and I was a wee-bit terrified. Plus Thomas's big eyes kinda freaked me out.

Well, the TV show was a hit, and Taylor ate it up like candy. I was grateful that it was only on on Saturday mornings though. What a relief! Until the first Thomas the Tank Engine DVD found its way into our home. The floodgates had opened. Thomas was in the house.

My friend Marie warned me of this Thomas Epidemic, but I didn't listen. Well, I did, but I was in denial, and had the 'it won't happen to us' syndrome. It did. Marie was right. I should have taken her warnings more seriously.

First it was one DVD, and then another, and then 'oh, just one more'. Well, now we have a home full of Thomas DVDs, but it doesn't stop there. Taylor received some Thomas trains and tracks from a handful of family members over the holidays and at first it was awesome. Taylor was engaged in the trains and it kept him busy for an hour at a time - a little piece of heaven for a parent. BUT then things got out of control. Train tracks are scattered from one end of the house to another, and definitely not intact on the train table (that would make too much sense). There are train cars under the couch, hidden in toy bins and in the car (because he can't leave home without the green engine, Percy). What happened to keeping it all on the table to play with it, where things are contained and it's organized chaos? I'd like to know what happened.

Well, it happened. Taylor has been so exposed to Thomas that he's starting to talk like him. You know how they talk, right? They use grown up words and have accents and they are just kind of strange. So, anyway, the other day Trask said something to Taylor that just didn't sit right with the 2-1/2 year old kiddo. Taylor's response to Trask was hilarious, and went like this:

"Dad! You are making me CROSS!"

Come on, who says that? Thomas the Tank Engine lovers do. And it cracks me up that the word 'cross' left my son's mouth. Trask didn't really have a response to Taylor's statement, so perhaps I'll borrow that phrase the next time I need to get the last word in!

And in case you were wondering, Thomas has now invaded bath-time. Taylor now has a boat (can't remember the boat's name) for the bathtub that carries Thomas. So now Taylor constantly wants a bath. He's had 3 baths in the past 24-hours, I kid you not.
Thanks Thomas.

So what am I going to do now? I am going to expose Thomas the Tank Engine to every young child in our family and get everyone hooked so I am not alone. Is that mean? I kind of don't care.

2 comments:

Brenda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brenda said...

Ya, us too! We were at Toys R Us just today and I couldn't pull him away from the Thomas the Train section. I didn't realize how much Thomas stuff was out there to be bought. We are in big trouble for his bday this year!